Teacher Quality and Retention Program - Program Facts
Teacher Quality and Retention Program | Program Facts | Application Process | Summer Institutes | Frequently Asked Questions | Contact Us |
Page 2 of 6
- Less than 2% of Public School Teachers are African American Males
- TQRP provides a forum for aspiring African American male educators to learn from, support and share experiences with peers and experienced faculty.
- Nationwide, only 44% of middle school STEM teachers have STEM degrees
- TQRP recruits STEM majors and provides training and support to increase minority STEM teachers in high-need schools.
- 40-50% of teachers leave the profession in the first 5 years, 20% after the first year alone
- TQRP offers professional development & support for TMCF member-school students and alumni, beginning with their pre-service training and continuing until their third year in the field.
- Relevant TQRP Stats:
- TQRP Fellows – Average GPA 3.32 o 51% of the 2013-2014 TQRP cohort are African American Males
- 46% of the 2013-2014 TQRP cohort are STEM
- There are over 30 new teachers among active Fellows, with more graduating and entering the classroom every semester. These highly trained new teachers…
- Taught over 1,700 elementary, middle and high school students during the 2013-2014 school year.
- Hold titles such as Grade Level Lead Teacher, Teacher of the Year, Content Area Lead Teacher, Department Chairperson, etc.
- Pursue graduate and doctoral degrees while teaching.
- 89% of active TQRP Fellows who are new teachers intend to remain in the profession.